Common pitfalls that must be converted into enablers: A KM Perspective

Common pitfalls that must be converted into enablers: A KM Perspective

Toey-Angelioleto
Administrator
There are common pitfalls that acts as the barrier into knowledge sharing that discourage the knowledge flow in the organization. These pitfalls must be converted into the enabler of doing KM. Here are the common list.
Pitfalls ..convert to becomes
The attitude of learning from failure is not acceptable. There is no penalty, if we repeat the same mistake We are happy to learn from failure and repeating mistakes is penalized.
Some experts are too humble to share Everyone has something to share
It is easier to pick up the phone than have a common sense People see the benefits of pooling their knowledge. Together we know more than a single expert.
Top leaders don't understand the benefits of KM Leaders are able to explain the benefits of KM to deliver business goals
We don't have time to share We save time if we reuse the wheel
What's in it for me? We can all see the benefits to us sharing knowledge
Staff don't see the benefits of KM Staff can explain the benefits of KM in delivering their business objectives
Knowledge is not being shared between projects. Some believe the knowledge gained is for their group only, and not for others outside Knowledge is used by the project team and leveraged by sharing with other projects
The existing communities of practice are created by the leader, not from the needs of the members The CoPs are designed around the needs of its members
The knowledge in the knowledge asset is not easy to search and access, and hard to digest. Knowledge is easily accessible in a digestible form
We collect the knowledge bank but people don't use it We start by considering who the customer for our knowledge is, and what knowledge they need. Then we collect it.
Embedding KM in work process Our KM techniques are embedded in work processes and are not additional work
Communication channels are very limited We use many channels of communication to reach everyone
The technology we are using is not stable yet Our technical systems are intuitive and simple to use. They make the work of staff easier.
If any of the pitfall symptoms do exist in the organization, they must be converted into an opposite effect. The enablers on the right side of the table is the desired effect that every organization must have.